Friday, November 17, 2006

A Novel Concept

My mother consented to putting a boring, traditional name on my birth certificate because she knew full well it was just a piece of paper. As soon as the ink dried, she set out to tell everyone my nickname.

I was Binky from the beginning.

When I first expressed an interest in being a writer at the age of 5, she told me I had the perfect name for it. "People won't forget Binky," she said. Even at 5, I must have rolled my eyes.

Who knows if I'd ever actually use that name on a published work. It's all moot at this point, as I have yet to commit any fiction of length to my computer screen. The idea of a royalty check signed over to any of my identities is still a dreamy, out-of-focus concept.

However, I have recently finished a 25,000 word manuscript for a non-fiction project I was commissioned to write by a trio in the process of building their own publishing company. The agreement I signed precludes me from going into detail until the project is unveiled sometime around the New Year. It's nothing earth shattering, but I'm proud of each and every one of those 25,000 words and I hold them up as proof that I actually CAN write a book.

If confidence is the foundation on which one builds a novel, then I guess I've got the basement. I even have some tools. What I lack is the most rudimentary blueprint. I just don't know what to write. I've got some characters, sure. I have a few settings. I just don't know how to nail them together, and am not entirely sure they'll fit.

I've joined a blogosphere-inspired writing group that I hope will be just the thing I need to get productive. A few days into it, I can already tell that the experience, discipline, and enthusiasm brought to the cyber-table by the other participants can only enhance my craft.

Now, if I could just find a cleaning group to inspire me to get the laundry done. . .

6 comments:

toyfoto said...

I admire you so much, this is great. To hell with the laundry, let it pile up!

Girlplustwo said...

you WROTE a freaking book.

bravo, sister...bravo. let someone else do the laundry.

Wildefrost said...

I love the way I react to your nickname. I am absolutely fine calling you "Binky" to Sean, but I think it weirds me out to call you Binky to your face. Probably because I call baby pacifiers "binkies", and you, dear, are anything but a pacifier.

Ha, and I almost made a joke that Chris would appreciate but it is WAY to inappropriate for blogs.

It had to do with putting someone in something's mouth. Let's leave it at that.

Congrats on the 25,000. That is freaking awesome.

ps. I'm not scheduled to work at all next week, so there HAS to be a day when I don't get called in. In which case I will email you immediately and we will see cows as promised.

Kacey said...

Congratulations on your 25,000 words. That is incredibly exciting!

p.s. When you find that laundry-inspiring group, will you shoot me an e-mail?

Redneck Mommy said...

Binky!!!!! You wrote a book! You must email me the title when you are allowed to do so. I don't care if it's about the scientific process of turning blue cheese into gasoline, just let me know. I'll proudly own it and know that my bud is on her way to great things.

Congrats. You inspire me.

And I'm very sorry to hear about your daddy.

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Wow, my mom called me Binky too. Congrats on your book. :)