Monday, December 04, 2006

Perfect Posts and the Patriarchy

They say perfection is in the eye of beholder.

If I do say so myself, Masked Mom and Mrs. Chicken have impeccable taste. So what if I'm biased?

Each of these lovely, generous ladies has nominated a different post of mine for the November Perfect Post Awards hosted by Petroville and Suburban Turmoil. Thanks to MM and Mrs. C for the nod and to the Perfect Post hosts for carrying on this monthly tradition.

In this award show, all nominees are winners. That's the part my husband didn't get.

"But being nominated means you are put in the running for an award. Being nominated isn't the award itself."

"Ah, that's where you're wrong," said I. "This is the momosphere. It's all very Montessori. Negative competition is damaging to our inner growth."

"Well, then no one can actually be a winner," said he. "And thus, you are all losers."

I rolled my eyes. This was coming from a guy who has a fifth place trophy displayed prominently in our living room. Fifth place or--as he would say if he was referring to anyone but himself--fourth loser. He won it by driving around a bunch of cones set up on a dirt field in mid-nowhere New Hampshire.

Do you know what? I think a good husband is in the eye of the beholder as well.

If you see me squinting a lot, you'll know why.


___

13 comments:

Girlplustwo said...

fourth loser - to anyone but himself...hilarious.

and yes, i was so happy to see both of your nods and not surprised in the least.

bravo.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Congratulations on your non-award from a mother who blogs but still thinks that soccer and t-ball games should have winners and losers.

Amy said...

You are most welcome. And HA HA HA - fifth place! Mr. Chicken still has his letter from marching band.

I repeat. He LETTERED in MARCHING BAND.

In my opinion, all of your posts are perfect. And no squinting here.

Miguelita said...

"This is the momosphere. It's all very Montessori. Negative competition is damaging to our inner growth."

hahahaha - Can I nominate that for a Perfect Line award?

Well deserved congrats!

Sharon L. Holland said...

Ooh, my first big laugh of the day. And child #1 has a fever of 102.4, so I needed it. Thank you.

Wildefrost said...

Haha, I got fourth place in the cow show with Chiquita. Fourth! And I'm soooo proud of my ribbon. Even if there were only four cows competing.

Binky, I'm so proud of you!!! You rock.

Wildefrost said...

Dude, Chris! I felt sick too! I didn't quite puke but I certainly felt like it several times. Maybe we smelled too much pine.

Anonymous said...

It was 5th place for the entire season. And it was for racing cars on a frozen lake.
And you are the one who decided to display it prominently. Probably because it's a damn good looking plate.

Masked Mom said...

I've found the even the very best of husbands don't really understand the momosphere and how these things work...

Fancy plates? Who needs 'em when you've got bloggy buttons you don't have to dust? ;)

Debbie said...

imo, you deserve to, um, be a nominee every month.

every. single. month.

Kacey said...

When I was nominated last month, and I proudly told my husband, he didn't understand. At all. He went and googled and tried to RESEARCH it. Oh no, I'm not kidding.
I would have preferred an "Oh my gosh, honey, that's great! I'm so proud of you." over a very confused "I can't find much on it through google. So you don't really get anything? What's the point?"

Husbands. Hmmph.

Kate said...

Congrats on the perfect post! Always a great post coming from you! Thanks for all the great readin'.

Jenifer said...

That's great! I do a fair amount of squinting myself!!