1. I will be 29 at the end of the month.
2. My mother is one of those women who stopped counting at 29, before I had even started. When I first asked her how old she was and she gave me that overused number, I believed her. Of course I did. I was relentless in passing on the information to anyone who would listen, and was flummoxed and a bit put out each time my proclamation was met with laughter.
3. More than well-rounded 30, odd 29 seems emblematic of offical adulthood. As enviable an age it is for those who've already been there, it's that mysterious to those who have not. When I think of 29, I think of my mother, and I look forward to discovering why she thought it was such a good place to stay.
4. Ten years ago, summertime, I worked from 3-11 p.m. at a snack shack. Afterward, I'd go home to my parent's place, where I'd put on jogging clothes to run the 4 mile round trip from my driveway to the town green. Each time I listened to the mixed tape that my friend made me, and I remember the songs to this day: Shelter From the Storm by Dylan, Wannabe by the Spice Girls, Fast Car by Tracy Chapman, Rhiannon by Fleetwood Mac. I still think of that friend when I hear each song. Then I'd come home, eat a bowl of frosted mini wheats, and chat online with The Partner-t0-be until 4 in the morning.
5. Twenty years ago my fourth grade teacher was recently divorced. The only thing I can remember about her was the fact that she once told us about her wedding dress, which she said had hundreds of buttons all along the back and was a real pain to put on.
6. On my first birthday after The Boss was born--it was nine days later--we went out to breakfast. Before we got in the car, we decided our infant needed a change. The Partner got diaper duty on account of it being my birthday. As soon as he laid her in the trunk of the car and removed her unsoiled Pampers, her pale, breastfed poop was a projectile that shot clear across the car's rear end. Oh, how it hurt my ravaged abdomen to laugh.
7. I would like to have another baby before I am thirty.
8. My dog is also 29, in dog years. How about that.
*This is a meme for which I was tagged by Whirlwind. 8 Random Facts about Yourself. I now pass the torch to Mrs. Chicken.