Saturday, September 20, 2008

Today in Connecticut, a Plague of Frogs

I am plagued by frogs. There's a croak beneath each footfall once I step outside the house. As The Partner mows the lawn, I can picture the wet, green whir under the deck of his antique Gravely.

I'm disgusted. I just want to sit outside and read. I don't want to scratch my scalp repeatedly in fear of the frog-itch as I hug my knees to my chest on a chair. I'd like to recline beneath the mild sun that still, even after noon, feels damp from the previous night's dew.

I can't relax. I start to wonder about other plagues. Layoffs. Chemicals in plastic baby bottles. Foreclosures. Pesticides in my leafy greens. This is why I don't watch current events on TV anymore. It's irrational and alarmist, but that's me. I'm too affected by BREAKING NEWS. And it's all BREAKING NEWS these days.

If I see death and devastation in backyard frogs, I see the apocalypse on CNN.


And now back to your regularly scheduled programming.


___

2 comments:

Heather said...

I hear ya.

Anonymous said...

I love frogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to come over and play with them. :)