Monday, November 17, 2008

As We Approach the Season of Giving...

I went to the My Pictures folder on Troy (that's my computer's name), clicked on the sixth folder and then opened up the sixth image within that folder. I did this all because Whirlwind told me to. She further instructed me to explain the details of the image and then tag five others.


This is a card from the collection of IOUs I designed as a gift for The Partner upon our fourth wedding anniversary this past July. The small booklet was filled with coupons for favors of all kinds. (I was glad when this meme asked me to recount the third card in this series instead of the sixth. That would've been embarrassing. And yet, it would've been so good for my sitemeter. But I digress.) Some other examples of the IOUs housed in this folder include "One Win Free Argument" and "One Homemade Dessert."

The creative bent of this gift was necessitated by the fact that I don't really contribute much to the financial situation here at home. To have used The Partner's money to buy him his own present just seemed pretty ridiculous. (Yes, I know. It's supposed to be "our" money. But if you really believe that, then let me point you in the direction of a vendor up on the Brooklyn Bridge who's hawking cotton candy, unicorns, and that big platform over the East River on which he stands.) The Partner is a frugal man who does not buy frivolous things for himself--nor would he appreciate his wife using his money to buy frivolous things for him.

Without cash money of my own, I am left with words and promises. On other occasions, I have collected the blog posts I wrote that pertained to The Partner and published them in hardcover form thanks to blurb.com. I've thrown him a party. I made these IOUs.

I am quickly running out of creative ideas.

I think I need a job.

___

I'm not tagging anyone in particular, but I hope some of you will try the meme anyway.

3 comments:

Heather said...

That is hard to not "earn" money. I know. But I've gotten over that in the last few years. Or maybe I've just found little ways to earn a little money. Whatever. I just buy him what I want to.

Or we just buy something more pricey that will be our presents to us both.

Anonymous said...

I did it, I thought it was cute...

Fairly Odd Mother said...

I love this idea! One thing I did for my husband was promise to set up a date night every month. I'd arrange for a babysitter and pick a place to go---whether it be a mid-day movie or a dinner out. He loved that I would make the effort to get us some time alone.

I know what you mean about not having "your own" money but I think you need to consider that what you are doing IS worth something! I wouldn't want my husband to pay me for my services as childcare provider, cook, cleaner, laundry doer, but I also would never think twice about using "his" money (we do talk beforehand about big purchases, and fortunately, we are naturally frugal). If he doesn't like to get gifts, that's one thing, but if you don't want to spend his money on anything for yourself, I think that isn't fair to you.