Monday, April 09, 2007

The 40 Days' Report

Another Easter has come and gone. So has the not-quite-successful Lenten promise that preceded it. On six separate occasions, I failed to light up the Blogger dashboard with my daily reflections. Being, as I am, of the opinion that 34 out of 40 ain't bad, I cannot quite muster up too much disappointment. I blogged a helluva lot more than I would've otherwise. And I did it during the months of February and March, which are perhaps the least inspired pages on my creative calendar. I may not have come through with flying colors, but I came through. I'd like to thank God, The Partner, and whomever invented the Meme.

In related news, I am looking for another gimmick to entice me into blogging on a daily, or at least 6-day-a-week, basis. I have no self motivation whatsoever and must rely on outside sources. That's just how it is.

I imagine what I'm looking for is something like the bikini that inspires dieters to go through months of deprivation so that they can fit into it come summertime. A fashionable, sexy and expensive piece of attire. A blogging bikini, that's what I need. Something that makes me even more invested in paying attention to my, er, body of work.

I thought about signing up to attend the Blogher conference as a possible motivator, but then I had a horrifying flashback to May, 1988, when a Girl Scout sleepover in the belly of the USS Massachusetts battleship left me stranded in an empty cabin because nobody wanted to share a bunk with the girl who had bad hair and no sense of style and whose eyes--all four of them--were incessantly glued to a book.

So the Blogher idea was quickly ruled out.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything else. Your input, as always, is welcome. How do you motivate yourself to blog on a regular basis? How important is consistency to you?

7 comments:

Lawyer Mama said...

"I thought about signing up to attend the Blogher conference as a possible motivator, but then I had a horrifying flashback to May, 1988, when a Girl Scout sleepover in the belly of the USS Massachusetts battleship left me stranded in an empty cabin because nobody wanted to share a bunk with the girl who had bad hair and no sense of style and whose eyes--all four of them--were incessantly glued to a book."

Yeah, I'm still a bit nervous that no one will invite me to eat at their lunch table, but I got talked into going to BlogHer anyway. You should come too. We can be geeks together. (Although I don't have 4 eyes. Only 3.)

About blogging frequency, I am always excited when there are new things in my bloglines. But I only post 2 maybe 3 times a week. Sometimes only once if I'm really slammed at work. I have ideas for posts constantly, but I sometimes lack the motivation to put fingers to keyboard after a long day. I'm trying not to make it into a chore I have to do, because then I'll never do it!

Unknown said...

Are you kidding? You would make a great BlogHer roommate and companion! Shoot, if I were considering BlogHer, your going would make me more inclined to go.

Am I right everybody?

S said...

Yes, mary-lue's right, of course.

I blog A LOT. But then, I started only in January, so I'm sure after a while I will get burned out. For now, though, I think it's the novelty of it all that keeps me blogging so much. Maybe too much.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Okay, what can I do to entice you to attend Blogher? Do I need to come down there and ply you with alcohol? How about bribery? Name your price.

Amy said...

I'm not going to BlogHer either, since I'll be in MA at that point in July. But if I were, you would be my first pick for a roomie.

As for the blogging, you did great. I always look for you in my Google reader and go away disappointed if you aren't there.

I consider my blog to be a daily writing exercise. It is a craft, Binky, and like any craftsman, I plug away. Two-thirds of what I write is C-R-A-P. But some days, the words come just so.

You just have to do it every day, like brushing your teeth. And don't say blogging. Say that you are writing.

See, I stopped writing each day about seven years ago and my life was worse for it. Even if nothing ever comes of it - no book, no big splashy magazine piece - I will know that I did something with this intermittent gift.

Because it is a gift, truly. And you have a very big gift.

Keep going.

Girlplustwo said...

well, selfishly i want you to go to blogher. so there.

i don't know - i try to use it as a medium to say what is rattling around in my mind that i wouldn't think to discuss in my daily life. it works for me.

i've got some questions for you, curious minds, you know. let me know if you want them.

Anonymous said...

Binky! Binky! Binky!

Come to Blogher, baby. We can pick our noses on the playground together.

Have no fear, you would never be shunned. You would ROCK the joint.

Come, come, come.

(That kinda sounded dirty...)

As for the writing, I write when I have something to say. I try not to post when I have nothing niggling at my brain, because I quickly become mired into the "must post, it's been two days" syndrome.

I love writing and the social aspect of a blog, but I refuse to worry about it. I write for me.